[Wikipedia-l] Re: Developers needed!

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Mon Aug 23 12:45:21 UTC 2004

Benedikt Mandl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in case you havn't read my initial e-mail: I am currently trying to
> establish a wiki-based, open species directory at www.wikispecies.org/,
> which is meant to become a wikimedia project.

Hi Benedikt,

I am sure you have seen Wikipedia's largest WikiProject - the Tree of
Life project. It currently contains thousands (maybe tens of thousands
by now, I am not sure) of articles on taxa at every level.

The current stable of Wikimedia projects (Encyclopedia, Dictionary,
Source repositroy, Quote library) do not overlap very much. The species
project and ToL sub-project of the encyclopedia however, will certainly
overlap a lot. I think it is very important to work out the best way to
deal with that.

Firstly, the ToL project pages want the same data as you want, though
pages tend to be in more prose form than your list of headings indicate
that you desire. Thus wikispecies is effectively a subset of wikipedia,
unless you intend there to be detail that would not be allowed in Wikipedia?

Would the new project be GFDL? Would it be easy to transfer contents
to/from Wikipedia? How would we ensure that effort is not duplicated
between the two projects? Do you have suggestions for improvements to
the ToL project?

Pete

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Tree_of_Life