[Wikipedia-l] Re: Double database entries

Christian Semrau sirjective at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 22:13:02 UTC 2004

Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at ...> writes:

> Christian Semrau wrote:
> > Hello wikipedians all around the world!
> >
> > I am Christian aka SirJective from the german WP, and want to promote some
> > knowledge about a database flaw that can be handled by sysops.
> >
> > Did you ever ask yourselves why the "What links here" page of some articles
> > lists articles that don't link there?
> > Or found articles listed on Special:Shortpages that are not short (at least
> > not as short as listed on that page)?
> > Or articles listed on Special:Lonelypages that are not orphaned?
>
> I've been working on these kinds of problems recently. The cause usually
> seems to be a SELECT performed without a FOR UPDATE option.
> Unfortunately using more locking will cause more deadlocks and lock wait
> timeout errors, but hopefully with appropriate use of retry loops and
> other measures, these problems can be kept to a minimum.

Hello Tim,

I thank you for searching solutions to prevent these problems for the future.
Do you have ideas/plans how to get rid of the existing duplicates?
I would prefer some automated solution, instead of letting sysops delete and
undelete these entries manually.

Today I uploaded a list to ja: and updated the nl: and the en: list.
The de: list (ca. 100 entries) has been cleared by Fristu.
(All reachably from [[meta:Multiple titles]].)

Christian
de:Benutzer:SirJective