[Wikipedia-l] FW: Wikipedia for Old English

Andre Engels andrewiki at freemail.nl
Tue Aug 10 14:45:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:38:11 -0400 "James R. Johnson" <modean52 at comcast.net>
wrote:
>Sorry - there have been about 6 million speakers at the height of usage of
>Old English.  I guess it's like Latin in being a dead language, but just as
>deserving of a Wiki.

I disagree. Latin is still being used at least in the Catholic church if not
elsewhere. Old English on the other hand is not being actively used
nowadays, knowledge of it being used passively (reading existing older
texts) rather than actively (writing material). I am willing to hear
arguments in favor, but "it's like Latin" is not one of them.

Andre Engels