[Wikipedia-l] Re: FW: Wikipedia for Old English

James R. Johnson modean52 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 00:27:25 UTC 2004

Hey Adam,
	Thanks for the help and kinds words - these are all very good and
important questions.

As for types of articles, I (myself as a writer/contributor to the AS wiki)
would like to start out with simple fact-based articles, perhaps the ones
listed on the "100 articles every wiki should have."  I would hope that
people would contribute articles, either Pokemon, Mario, News, Biography,
whatever.  I have no doubt someone will want to write Anglo-Saxon related
articles, but I'd rather do modern history, some biographies, biology,
technology, etc.  If you'd like to write the Pokemon article, feel free!  Ic
wille þæt séon, gif þu þæt wille wrítan.  There are people who can
contribute readily on the Forum for Old English mailing list, English-L
mailing list, and Old English Made Easy mailing list.

The form of the language would be early West Saxon, as used in the Clark
Hall Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, without the syncopation of endings in
verbs (a more formal syntactic convention).

The groups are above mentioned, as well as other groups that can be found
with a google search. There is already a terminology page for the technology
terms, as well as many biology and other terms native to the language.  As
Icelandic has created new uses for old words, I'm sure Old English can do
the same (How about an article about a circulwyrde or the symantec fyrweall
rungestreon, or þá Nipponiscan léode (the Japanese people)?).

Does that help?

James