[Wikipedia-l] Text to voice

Merritt L. Perkins mlperkins3 at juno.com
Sun Sep 14 09:00:33 UTC 2003

I finally got the text to voice of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7 preferred
to work.  I had been using an old version of Microsoft Works as a text
editor.  When I changed to Microsoft Word. I could have it play back what
I said and read what it had written as it was supposed to.    Speech to
text is very different from text-to-speech.  With text-to-speech.  There
is no problem in guessing what word is meant.  I have a huge 21 in.
monitor  and at times have a hard time making out fine print with the
help of a magnifying glass. By having it read aloud  I can catch mistakes
and I would overlook otherwise.   It did not work with e-mails or the
Encyclopedia. Perhaps there are programs that will.  I am working on a
large spreadsheet , and can move around much faster than with the
keyboard.  I can say .   Move down two  and it is there,  Move right
twenty  and it is there before I close my mouth. It is much faster than
typing with the keyboard.   In Microsoft XP Home Edition go to control
panel; sounds speech and audio devices; speech; text-to-speech; preview
voice.  Then you can try the voice of Microsoft's Sam.  Clock G2 uses the
voice of Microsoft's Sam to announce the time and date each hour. I have
not found anything in any of my Microsoft programs about how to get it to
read text. I think that they should have such a program.  There are
probably other such programs and there have been such programs for years
but I don't know where to find them.   Merritt L. Perkins