[Wikipedia-l] Re: Slashdot

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Sep 11 17:30:21 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> (Actually I see now that the rank that they show is some kind of
> moving average, and that according to this url, our traffic just
> recently touched theirs.  I'm skeptical, but we do rock.)

It is clear that Wikipedia grows in size, and this should be reflected
in traffic.  But I find it hard to believe that Slashdot is growing
any much bigger than it already is.  Slashdot feels like a "mature"
phenomenon (even if the contents gets less and less "mature").  The
main difference is that Slashdot is what they produced in the last
week, but Wikipedia is the accumulated sum of all we ever produced.

Slashdot is a river and Wikipedia is a lake.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/