[Wikipedia-l] Re: Slashdot

Thomas R. Koll tomk32 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 10 04:49:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:19:30AM +1000, Tim Starling wrote:
> Adam Bishop wrote:
> >I don't know if anyone has noticed this yet, but Wikipedia has been
> >mentioned on Slashdot again, and there have been a few vandals who seem
> >to have arrived from there in the past few minutes. I suppose the
> >"slashdot effect" may be imminent...
>
> According to Alexa we now get as much traffic as Slashdot. So it follows
> that they have as much to fear from us as we have to fear from them.
> Maybe if we mentioned Slashdot on our main page, they would get a sudden
> influx of visitors which they would be obliged to refer to as the
> "Wikipedia effect". :)

I doubt that. The ./ comes due many people reading the same article
at one time and following its links. But WP has to many articles and
it's impossible to led all the read at one time to a certain article and
it's links.
But it's good to know that WP can handle slashdots (and umlauts ;-)

ciao, tom

--
http://www.tomk32.de - just a geek trying to change the world
   -.-       http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:TomK32