[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia.ru & Wikimedia.de

Jake Nelson jnelson at soncom.com
Mon Sep 8 16:20:04 UTC 2003

Joy. Thorny legal discussions. I have to say, it's funny, considering making
use of ICANN's domain name resolution policies. Mind you, I'm not opposed to
doing so in this case if the Wikipedia.ru people are difficult about it, but
I don't think they really will be. It's just that I'm very strongly against
ICANN and its policies.
I -do- think we need to defend the Wikipedia name. It's been named on CNN
and in Time, and we don't really have another one. That's a critical bit...
if we let others use the name Wikipedia... what do we use to disambiguate?
'The One True Wikipedia'? Doesn't fit so nice on a logo. (And isn't it POV?
;))
But anyway, this is all academic (not that there's anything /wrong/ with
that) until we hear what they have to say.

--Jake