[Wikipedia-l] Re: logo deadline (was Cheating on logo voting)

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 13:42:07 UTC 2003

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:09:14 -0700
From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Wikipedia-l] Cheating on logo voting
To: wikipedia-l at wikipedia.org

Aoineko wrote:
>If we must vote for a final logo (no change after
vote)
1
>week is very short to be able to create all them.

They already had an entire month to create variants
silly!

--mav

--------------

Silly ? :-)

I am not complaining below, nor asking any extension
of deadlines, just stating facts.

People had one full month to create variants. In that
full month, I have had a computer available for about
5 days, the first days of the contest, and the last
days, just when I came back home.

During the first few days I was still online, I tried
to design 3 logos. Of course, I could not do anything
when away.

When I came back, I hurried to help with the press
release, especially since I understood that at that
point, 300 000 was planned to be about nowadays.

On the day I came back, I also found the french wiki
in eruption because of a "problematic user". He had
been ip-wide-range banned the very same day, and there
was every reason to think he would be user-banned very
soon. I do not support hard banning :-). Thanks for
french users to let me try fixing things another way.
That was kind.
I spent hours going through all the reading material
left during my big 3 weeks off (and my, have they been
writing !), then to try to cool things down, to end up
with an entire sleepless night fixing the most
problematic article (now stable :-)).

In short, I had no time really trying to fix logos,
except to introduce miwiki on them with Olie help.

I wrote to the original author of the book two times
to get a high resolution version. After no answer, the
second time,

I like very much the first version of the logo, with
the face, the triangle and the 01011010 leaving the
book, to melt in the background.

But I have no high res of it. So that logo can't be
used for the contest.
I am no graphist. I can try to do that myself, but it
would take me a lot of time. And I doubt very much it
will be nice in the end :-)

This week and next week, I have a very big deadline at
work, and most of the available computer time will be
on one computer with no adobe photoshop on it. Too old
and junked. That was not planned. Hence, I won't be
able to really make variants of the logo, in
particular, to remake the initial version. Just to fix
things.

If anyone feels motivated, just raise your hand
(sorry, school time started again last week :-)); I
will send you all the original versions I have, book,
realistic ants, miwikis. I am sure Olie will try, but
if anyone else feels interested, just say.

It is no big deal at all. I also am aware it can't be
the winner, so I won't make a fuss on it. It was
really nice to see that some people liked that logo
anyway ;-)

That is just an echo to Mav comment. Yup, that is
silly, but that is just the way it is. No big deal.

I also am glad Aoi is taking care of these matters,
and hope everyone stays civil.