[Wikipedia-l] Vote on voting method for final round

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 5 13:38:18 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:33:00AM +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Because there were strong objections from one participant against using
> average (range) voting, which was already successfully used for our
> article count reform, for the final voting round on the logos, there is
> now a FPTP vote in progress on which voting method to use:
>
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_logo_vote/
> Vote_on_voting_method
>
> And no, I am not particularly fond of that vote either, but I don't want
> to be accused of ruthlessly exploiting my position of incredible power as
> organizer of this world shattering contest to impose upon millions of
> Wikipedians the voting standard which I prefer, so please do take the
> opportunity to vote for a mind numbingly complex process that isn't used
> in any real world election (because people already can't distinguish
> between the names on their ballot and will certainly not understand the
> method used to determine a Condorcet winner) if that's what makes you
> happy. Note, however, that I will not take part in a solution with which I
> do not agree, so that all blame for the disaster that will inevitably
> ensue rests solely on the shoulders of the individuals responsible for
> causing it.

If you call voting on article count reform "successful" then I don't want
to know what would you call "disastrous". And of course Debian, with more
voters than Wikipedia, and much more serious elections than just a logo,
isn't "real". Condorcet hasn't caused any trouble for Debian, and it assured fair
elections without any tactical voting and less prefered outcomes being
selected due to peculiarities of voting process.