[Wikipedia-l] WikiTable implementation

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Fri Sep 5 09:16:07 UTC 2003

Magnus Manske wrote:

> (Moved from wikien-l)
>
> Toby Bartels wrote:
>
>> Everybody interested in this should see [[meta:Wiki markup tables]].
>> This hasn't been worked on for a while, and fresh ideas would be good.
>

> I don't have any fresh ideas on that one, so I went ahead and
> (surprise!) implemented my table markup at the test wiki:
>
> http://test.wikipedia.org/w/magnus/wiki.phtml?title=Wiki_table_test
>
> (don't go to the test wiki itself, only use the above link)
>
> This early version has no error checking (matching <table>s etc.), but
> it already handles HTML tags (if necessary), CSS definitions, and
> nested tables.

Nice!

I was about to say we shouldn't need to use a table to hold an image --
a simple DIV with a paragraphs for the image and caption will be fine.
but then I remembered the problem with the width of the floated DIV --
it has to be specified, otherwise it can break.
The CSS float model can REALLY be a pain in the a*** sometimes :(