[Wikipedia-l] logo - I will be bold

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 04:36:30 UTC 2003

Erik,

I am a bit disturbed

You started the new logo contest. You made the pages,
you set the rules. Some people are following all the
cheating that is occurring along, and you have no
reaction whatsoever. A certain degree of cheating is
no big deal, but to my opinion, there are limits. I
think as the organizer of the contest, you could at
least react to some of the worse irregularities. Right
now, anyone can vote under an ip, anyone can vote
without anyone knowing them, anyone can replace the
logo of someone else by his, in particular in the top
10. And perhaps a logo which was in the top 10 before
being replaced by another won't be in the top 10
anymore, just because someone had fun replacing that
top 10 logo.

And there are no reactions whatsoever.

The logo issue in itself is not important. But again,
this case is an experiment. It is the experiment of
how of whole organization could work together with a
common decision process. With respect and honesty
toward those who created the artwork, and respect and
honesty toward those who came to vote, and have the
belief we are all sharing something.

User:Kat left a couple of days ago, because too
disgusted by the decision process on the en wiki,
among other things. Right now, at wikipedia-wide
level, community does not scale either. I think any of
the international votes are important because they are
big scale experiment of how a "big" community could
take decisions together.

If we are so careless with these kind of decisions, I
see not why we would be better with more important
decisions. What is occuring is reflecting a broken
organisation.

Since no one reacted except Olie himself, I will be
bold. Whatever the outcome of the logo contest, if
logo 124 is not in the top 10, there will be 11 logos
in the top 10.

And I also think the next international vote will need
to be much better organised.