[Wikipedia-l] World Summit (on Information Society) Awards

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:07:09 UTC 2003

I think Wikipedia (or Wikimedia) would be a very strong candidate for the
World Summit Awards.

The award is given as a part of the World Summit on Information Society, a
series of events from 2003-2005 organized by UN (ITU, to be exact).

Oh, but it's not a financial award. It seems there will be some
demonstrations of good practices/ products in major regions of the world.

There are 8 categories, like e-government, e-science, e-culture,
e-inclusion, etc. I think Wikipedia would be good for e-learning category.

What I would suggest is that someone with some credentials would recommend
Wikipedia to Benton Foundation. (see the third link below) (deadline is
September 15)

Also, Jimbo could make an entry at the "Register" section of the Award site
(the second link below).
Deadline seems to be Sep. 27.

URLs:

1) The official website for the summit
http://www.itu.int/wsis/

2) The official website for the award
http://www.wsis-award.org/

3) The the U.S. representative for the summit soliciting input
http://www.benton.org/contact/summitawards.html

Tomos