[Wikipedia-l] Do we need a new logo contest?

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Mon Jun 16 17:04:21 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 01:21, Erik Moeller wrote:

> 4) It cites one specific philosopher and one specific quote, establishing
> that particular point of view quite securely. While Wikipedia itself is
> mostly neutral, the logo is clearly not. And just to make clear that its
> text is far from uncontroversial, the Hobbes quote states that "man is
> distinguished, not only by his reason, but also by this singular passion
> [curiosity] from other animals". This is a highly anthropocentric view
> with the classical animal/human distinction that is increasingly eroded by
> our understanding of other highly intelligent and curious animals such as
> chimpanzees, bonobos, whales and dolphins. Of course, that is not to say
> that a more modern view should be taken; in fact, none should be taken at
> all.

Though I of course think that the logo is pretty damn great, I don't
have any objection to a better one being created. But I do want to
respond to the mischaracterization above--Moeller misrepresented the
quotation with his ellision and use of "[curiosity]".

The quotation actually says:

"this singular passion from other animals, which is a lust in the mind,
that by a perseverence of delight in the continual and indefatigable
generation of knowledge..."

In other words, it's not curiosity, its knowledge generation.
Chimpanzees, bonobos, whales and dolphins may be highly intelligent and
curious, but they aren't exactly well known for their propensity to
build up troves of literature, music, and scientific research.

Maybe dolphins do have remarkable oral histories by which young dolphins
learn the stories of the elders, the physics of the oceanic currents,
the biochemistry of sulfur vents, but there isn't any evidence for that.

So I would say that Erik's claim that the quotation is of a
controversial nature because of its mistaken anthropocentricism is
without merit.