[Wikipedia-l] Do we need a new logo contest?

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Jun 14 21:33:57 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>I'd like to know if I'm alone in being quite tired of the current
>Wikipedia logo (as used on en: and most of the non-English pedias). There
>are several things I do not like about it:

Further problems with the current logo:
* the French pedia has a completely different logo, which (AFAIK) came
out of some crossed wires
* there are flag variants of it, such as the Danish pedia. We've agreed
elsewhere that languages should NOT be identified with flags of countries.

>- a flower or planet within a pair of double square brackets.

I REALLY like the sunflower and brackets!!!!!

I would be tempted to suggest we sometimes switch the circular object
inside the brackets (like Google plays with its logo too).
Switch to a planet earth from time to time, or an eclipsed sun when
there is a solar eclipse occurring.
(avoid things that represent cultural / religious festivals though ... )

It would be great if at any time EVERY pedia displayed the same logo!