[Wikipedia-l] Stallman on fair use

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sun Jun 15 23:20:56 UTC 2003

Axel Boldt wrote:
>      * the material can be used under the [[fair use]] doctrine and
>        such fair use will likely extend to all third party users of
>        Wikipedia

Well, certainly I think that's the right approach to take.  We want to
use stuff that we can use.  We want our stuff to be reusable by others
pretty easily.  And we should flag anything for which questions are
likely to arise, so that third parties (or ourselves, in the future)
can figure out what everything is.

The central questions, to my mind, are: (1) where should we draw the
line, and how can we make it easy for contributors to understand, and
(2) what disclaimers do we need on the download page so that people
can easily grasp that what is GNU FDL is our own content, and that the
database does contain fair use materials, appropriately flagged when
possible, so that they can puzzle over fair use for *their* use.

The complication here arises from the fact that fair use depends on
the use, not on the image or quote itself.

--Jimbo