[Wikipedia-l] Stallman on fair use

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 21:25:24 UTC 2003

--- Lee Pilich <pilich at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I still think getting rid of all instances of fair use is a bad idea,
> though.

I don't think anybody has argued for that.

> I don't see how we can practically allow some kinds of fair use
> but not others

Maybe we can. How about if we give up our current distinction between
images and text and require a single confirmation whenever people
upload material to Wikipedia:

  By uploading material to Wikipedia, you certify that either
     * the material is in the public domain, or
     * the copyright owner of the material releases it under GFDL, or
     * the material can be used under the [[fair use]] doctrine and
       such fair use will likely extend to all third party users of
       Wikipedia

(maybe even with three checkboxes.)

I would think that short quotes, downsampled album titles, grainy TV
frames of Hussein etc. then all still qualify.

As rms points out, fair use materials can indeed be modified (thereby
even strengthening the fair use case), so the materials described above
don't seem to pose a problem GFDL-wise.

Axel