[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fair use

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 2 00:16:32 UTC 2003

[Note: This is posted to both <wikitech-l> and <wikipedia-l>
to preserve continuity; replies should go to <wikipedia-l>.]

Eclecticology wrote in part:

>I don't see where we have had problems
>with the copyright holders themselves.  It would be easy to agree to
>remove this material if the request came from the copyright holder
>himself.  The pressure so far seems to be coming from people who imagine
>that something is copyright.

>My inclination would be to use borderline material, with an appropriate
>warning that we will happily remove on request from a properly
>identified owner.

This is a big difference between images and text.
Our text is not only distributed -- it's modified in many ways.
A copyright problem there can infect many articles later on.
With images, we don't have nearly this sort of practical problem.

But we still need to clearly separate out the non-free images
to aid later distributors, try not to rely on them for content,
and replace them with free images when possible.

-- Toby