[Wikipedia-l] Do we really need a Sifter project?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jul 29 19:43:36 UTC 2003

Delirium wrote:
> So basically I think if we don't do it ourselves, somebody else will
> start sifting out "good articles" from Wikipedia.  I think we can do a
> better job of it though, and keep the results under the Wikipedia name.

No matter who does it, the resulting collection needs not only be even
in quality, but also well balanced.  It cannot be detailed on physics
and lack classic music.  (Unless it is an "encyclopedia of physics".)

I doubt that this will be achievable in the near time.  You are free
to prove me wrong, of course.

If thinking about this goal can lead to the identification of areas
where Wikipedia today lacks detail, that can be good enough, even if
the goal in itself isn't reached.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/