[Wikipedia-l] Re: Crashy opteron

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Dec 25 16:00:03 UTC 2003

Damned computers.

Well, Tim is out of town.  Jason is a couple hours away and there's no
way I'm asking him to drive down on Christmas.  The colo does not have
24x7 staffing, so no one is there to reboot it for us today.

Therefore, we're doomed until tomorrow morning.  Jason has a family
obligation tomorrow at 10AM, so he _could_ go down tomorrow afternoon,
but only if we can't get someone at the colo to do the reboot.

At least the website is serving cached pages, maybe if someone has a
chance, the cached-pages message could be updated to explain the time
we expect editing to resume.

>From now on when we think about how to spend money, we should think about
this morning, and think about redundancy, which is expensive but probably
necessary as we get bigger and bigger.

--Jimbo