[Wikipedia-l] French usage

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 12 10:33:29 UTC 2003

Matt M. wrote:

>>This might all be easier in English than other languages though: most
>>Americans accept British English as a valid and correct form of English
>>and many have at least some exposure to it,...
>>
>except that none of them can figure out that we spell it "spelt," and they
>keep reverting it... ;)
>
>>I'm not sure to what extent
>>French people are familiar with French-Canadian speech, or vice-versa.
>>
>Ben l y'en savent pas grand'chose, pantoute, mais on fait de not' possib',
>nous-aut'.
>
>I may have partially shoved through a policy similar to the en:wiki (use the
>dialect appropriate to the subject of the article) when I insisted that
>discussion of gay people in [[fr:Montrl]] use the spelling "gai," which is
>official in Canada, instead of the European "gay."
>
>And when I write an article on the French wiki, if I use a standard Quebec
>French usage and someone alters it, I will revert it right back... just like
>with "spelt" on the en:wiki.

I can be understanding when I know that the person making the correction
doesn't know any better.  It's more irritating when somebody insists
that their own way is the only right way.  I tend to go after the ones
who use "practice" as a verb.  When I went to school "practice" was the
noun, and "practise" was the verb.  If I see "gay" in a French text, it
looks like the writer has used the English word.  Letting these
so-called corrections can't be right, because it acquiesces to something
that not everybody will see as a correction.

Ec