[Wikipedia-l] French usage

Matt M. matt_mcl at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 12 04:06:10 UTC 2003

> This might all be easier in English than other languages though: most
> Americans accept British English as a valid and correct form of English
> and many have at least some exposure to it,...

except that none of them can figure out that we spell it "spelt," and they
keep reverting it... ;)

> I'm not sure to what extent
> French people are familiar with French-Canadian speech, or vice-versa.

Ben là, y'en savent pas grand'chose, pantoute, mais on fait de not' possib',
nous-aut'.

I may have partially shoved through a policy similar to the en:wiki (use the
dialect appropriate to the subject of the article) when I insisted that
discussion of gay people in [[fr:Montréal]] use the spelling "gai," which is
official in Canada, instead of the European "gay."

And when I write an article on the French wiki, if I use a standard Quebec
French usage and someone alters it, I will revert it right back... just like
with "spelt" on the en:wiki.

Matt