[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Sodipodi-list] Wikiclips

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:44:22 UTC 2003

Brion Vibber wrote in part:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>However, the MediaWiki software, IIRC, had some failings in this respect
>>when it comes to images -- people were able to overwrite uploaded files
>>(which is how MediaWiki treats images) in a way that destroyed information.
>>Has that all been fixed?

>In MediaWiki when you upload a new file with the same name as an
>existing file, the old version is archived and remains accessible. It
>can be viewed, saved locally and reuploaded with a new name, or
>reverted in-place. _Deleting_ an image revision would do so
>permanently, but this is now a restricted admin action.

OK, this is what I was thinking of, and it was fixed.
So MediaWiki should work fine for showing images to one another,
and for writing things about them in wiki pages.
But if you want to modify the images' /sources/ then you want something
then lets you view diffs of the sources -- which may be SVGwiki
or something else, depending on what kind of images you use!

-- Toby (from Wikipedia), done talking