[Wikipedia-l] Re:Culte, cult, secte, sect

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Aug 30 14:59:43 UTC 2003

Matt M. (that's what the header says, but I think it may have been
Anthere) wrote:

> That is a tricky word, not to mistranslate
> unintentionnally :-)

It's a tricky word to use, too. One person's "cult" is another's
religion. Many conservative Christians consider the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ("Mormonism") a cult, but I doubt
such a label would stand in the state of Utah.

Some people argue that a cult is simply a newer religion that hasn't
yet established itself. The word "sect" is more neutral; the term
"new religious movement"  is sometimes used in academic
research. In most cases, when we call a group a "cult" in
Wikipedia we should probably attribute it.

Stephen G.