[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1280

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Aug 19 09:34:03 UTC 2003

Bj wrote:

> Why cant ALL elections and ALL candidates in ALL countries be covered?
> Its important enough for alot of people, it is googleable information
> and it can be easily verified. Meh, usually when people say an article
> is unimportant it's because they are ignorant about the subject. :-)
>
> Which leads me to another question I've been aching(sp?) to ask for
> quite some time. When is an article to narrow or not important enough
> to be on Wikipedia? Are there any rules or policies explaining it?

I agree that it's appropriate to cover all election.  We can end up
carrying material that nobody else has.  There can be no hard rule about
what is relevant in human knowledge.  We can only have guidelines that
tend to be accepted by the community.  I tend to favour a broad
interpretation of what is worth including.  Changing that standard could
be a problem when we prepare a publishable version.

Ec