[Wikipedia-l] Re: maybe time for a document project, sometime in the near future?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Aug 18 20:25:04 UTC 2003

Brion Vibber wrote:
> The thing that would make a Project Sourceberg worthwhile is wiki-style
> annotation of the texts.

That's a really cool idea.  But Erik has convinced me not to say 'yes'
willy-nilly to every cool idea that comes along.  :-)

I just finished _East of Eden_, because Oprah Winfrey has it as her
Book Club Selection.  I guess a million Oprah fans are reading it,
too.  And like me, they are eager for more information about the book.

How cool would an annotated text be for something like this?

Except, _East of Eden_ is under copyright.

Well, now that Oprah is choosing classics instead of contemporary
fiction for her club, there's a good chance that she'll choose a
public domain text.  That'd be a nice 'focal point' to make a Wiki
project highly successful, I think.

--Jimbo