[Wikipedia-l] Editing using the Opera Web Browser

David Jones drj at pobox.com
Fri Mar 1 14:07:38 UTC 2002

I am just trying out Opera on Windows (www.opera.com) (Version 6.01
Build 1041 Platform Win32).

I can't edit a page.

For example,

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/SPARC&action=edit

because the HTML seems to be bad.  When I click the "Edit this page"
link I see a page which has an editable text box with no text in, and all
the text that is obviously supposed to be in the box has been rendered
outside of the box.

I validated the edit page (
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikipedia.com%2Fwiki%2FSPARC%26action%3Dedit&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline
)

And got the following:

::  Line 22, column 6:
::
::    </HEAD><BODY  bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
::          ^
::
::  Error: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open; try removing the
::  end tag or check for improper nesting of elements
::
::  Line 22, column 31:
::
::    </HEAD><BODY  bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
::                                   ^
::
::  Error: element "BODY" not allowed here; check which elements this
::  element may be contained within

And much more.  Indeed, looking at the HTML produced (just lines 18 - 24):

  18: a.newlink { color: black; text-decoration: none; }
  19: .newlinkedge { display: inline; }
  20: //--></style>
  21: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
  22: </HEAD><BODY  bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
  23: </BODY></HTML><table width="100%" class="topbar" cellspacing=0>

It looks like the close tags for HEAD and BODY and HTML are in the wrong
place, and that META is closed.

I guess that upsets opera enough to stop it rendering properly.

Any chance of a fix / some documentation so that I can do it myself?

Cheers,
 drj