[Wikipedia-l] Re: Years in review and the need for editorial judgement

Jan.Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Fri Jun 28 11:05:28 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 08:20:51PM +1000, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> I STRONGLY disagree with this. Who's going to judge what is more
> 'important' or what to delete?

The usual suspects.

> I don't think it's a big deal to have books listed or movies or
> anything...

It reduces the usefulness of these pages. It's less interesting to
have a page that lists every little thing that happened in a certain year
including the death of somebodies favorite goldfish.

> when the page gets too lengthy then it can be broken up.

That would mean the format depends upon how much has been added for a certain
year.

> Then we'll have a ready-made list for a
> subpage.

Please don't mention the s-word.

> Of course if you really want to keep them off the year pages what you need
> to do is to make a template for a 'Published/Produced in this year' page
> for people to put them on...

The problem is not that we don't want published works on these pages, but
only the ones that are considered very important.

> the wikipedia's supposed to be about completeness after all!

Wikipedia as a whole is, yes, but this is not necessarily true for
all individual pages.

-- Jan Hidders