[Wikipedia-l] Re: Years in review and the need for editorial judgement

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jun 28 10:20:51 UTC 2002

"Jan.Hidders" wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:11:28PM +1000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> >
> > I agree that [[List of Books Published in 1962]] and its ilk are
> > completely appropriate.  What I am concerned about is maintaining the
> > integrity of the year in review pages in the process by keeping them a)
> > short and thus useful, and b) ensuring that only really important stuff
> > gets on there as we build content so that we keep the integrity of the
> > pages as a reference *now*.
>
> How about the following:
>
> - We make a guideline that says that there should be no more than, say, 10
>   births / deaths / events on the page and that these should be the most
>   important ones in that year.
>
> - We give some hints on what might be considered important and what not.
>
> - If someone comes along and thinks a very important event is missing but
>   the list is already full then he or she has to remove the least important
>   one.
>
> Of course this will generate some debates but that is inherent in the nature
> of Wikpedia and these types of pages.

I STRONGLY disagree with this. Who's going to judge what is more
'important' or what to delete? I don't think it's a big deal to have
books listed or movies or anything... when the page gets too lengthy
then it can be broken up. Then we'll have a ready-made list for a
subpage. Of course if you really want to keep them off the year pages
what you need to do is to make a template for a 'Published/Produced in
this year' page for people to put them on... the wikipedia's supposed to
be about completeness after all!

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: