[Wikipedia-l] WikiAlmanac

Manning Bartlett manning at bartlett.net
Wed Jun 19 20:34:24 UTC 2002

We all know that originally the Wikipedia was "definitely an encyclopaedia" and "definitely NOT a dictionary".

However, the domain of the "Almanac" was never adequately integrated or rejected. Maveric et al have been formatting the wide variety of lists that are out there, but I can see the need for an "WikiAlmanac" namespace (or whatever) as well. Most encyclopaedias also offer an Almanac section (under a variety of alternate terms such as "Fact Book" etc)

I can think of a hundred things off the top of my head that would be useful - largest islands, countries by population density, presidents of US, Nigeria, etc PMs of UK, Australia, Academy Award/Nobel Prize/Pulitzer Prize/Booker Prize/Hugo Award/etc winners, longest rivers, etc etc etc. There is already a vast amount of stuff in the PEdia already, and I think it is time to start getting it all truly organised.

Manning