[Wikipedia-l] "Copyright violation" question (just the opposite of what you think)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 31 16:06:19 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
>>Here is one method: Do nothing until the copyright owner presses
>>charges.
>>

>Well, "pressing charges" is a bit late in the game.  Under the DMCA,
>an ISP has a "safe harbor" against copyright violations by users, so
>long as there is a "takedown" policy in place.  Upon the receipt of a
>proper written complaint, I'm required to take down the disputed
>material.  If the person who posted it wants to make a proper written
>response claiming to have the right to the material, then I can put it
>back up pending those two parties suing each other, but my liability is
>limited.

Of course, in the general case, waiting until someone presses charges is
waiting too long to do anything, though there may still be anxious
plaintiffs who try to by-pass earlier steps.  Hopefully those cases
would be thrown out of court for failing to give a proper notice to the
ISP in the first place. It does seem to me that "proper written
complaint" involves more than a complete stranger appearing out of
nowhere and saying "That's mine!"; there has to be a modicum of evidence
that he has the right to make that demand.

Steve's "Tsvetaeva" article appears to present quite a different
situation.  I have no reason to doubt that he had the original copyright
on the material, and that at some point he chose to abandon that
copyright - all this over a twelve year period.  We are really dealing
with the situation where something which has gone into the public domain
has ben used or incorporated into someone else's work, and a blanket
copyright on that user's application has been alleged to apply on a part
of that work that was no longer copyright.

This is a risk of success.  As Wikipedia develops a positive reputation
for its content we can expect a lot more of this to happen.  In
practical terms there will always be a time lag while things unfold, if
for no other reason than that it takes time for our unknown plagiarist
to "research" and put his material together.  Logs and other proof can
be kept.  Under U. S. copyright law what I write today goes into the
public domain on Jan. 1, 2098.  This letter is covered by GNU-FDL, but
if my great-grandson chooses to dispute the fact in the year 2070, what
evidence will remain?  (assuming that I had not raised the subject in
the letter)   What confidence can we have that Jimmy will be able to
argue the point at that time?

Even if every Wikipedia article has GNU-FDL statement attached there is
no practical way of enforcing it upon all users.  At some point I read
something from Lee where he had imbedded a watermark into a picture that
he uploaded.  It would probably be helpful to embed a watermark that
claims coverage under GNU-FDL in every picture that is uploaded;
something of the sort could probably also happen with material in other
special media such as sound.  Text material will remain a problem.  It
would also be an interesting experiment to put watermarked and
undisputedly legal but very desirable illustrations into some of the
most popular articles, and try to track what happens to them on the net.

It is without regret that I predict that the copyright industry will
eventually become the victim of its own recent successes.  Disney's
mouse has been eating cheese for 75 years, but wholesome family values
have inhibited any suggestion that in all that time he ever had to
relieve himself in the can.  A mouse that is so full of shit will just
have to blow up sooner or later.

Eclecticology