[Wikipedia-l] Subpages or namespaces

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Wed Jan 30 21:08:44 UTC 2002

Despite all more-or-less-complicated suggestions regarding this topic, I'd
like to repeat an idea I mentioned once as a compromise on subpages. It was
rejected by Larry at that time, but it might be worth thinking about it
again in the light of the [[Middle Earth]] issue.

The idea: On saving an edit, all links that start with "[[/" (like
[[/Frodo]] on the [[Middle Earth]] page) would be extended by the "root"
topic (like [[Middle Earth/Frodo]]).

That would give us back just a little subspace functionality, but would keep
the system "clean" (no automatic backlinks, no weird stuff on "GNU/Linux"
etc.). It just saves some typing. Personally, I doubt that would encourage
massive wild-growth of subpages, but of course, I'll accept the decision of
the powers-that-be ;)

Magnus