[Wikipedia-l] An alternative idea to resolve the [[Middle Earth]] issue

Uri Yanover uriyan_subscribe at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 19:33:37 UTC 2002

Hi everyone again,

Having thought some more about how it is possible to make editing
[[Middle Earth]] easier once again, I've invented another solution
to the problem: aliases.

Here's how it should work: we create a new Alias namespace.
Inside it we'd have entries like [[Alias:Middle Earth]]. This page
would look like the following:
----------------
Bilbo                        Middle Earth/Bilbo
Faramir                    Middle Earth/Faramir
Frodo                        Middle Earth/Frodo
Gandalf                    Middle Earth/Gandalf
In general, the idea would be to match the ad-hoc "short" versions
of the page titles to the "long" version. Each page that that would
want to use the alias, will have to include a directive, explicitly
telling it to, e.g. #alias [[Middle Earth]].

This way we could both keep the longer (and the more informative)
names like [[Middle Earth/Elrond]] and still make short linking
(like [[Elrond]]) possible from the pages that require this.

What do you think about it?

            Uri Yanover