[Wikipedia-l] History of pages, author issues.

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Tue Jan 29 17:44:22 UTC 2002

OK, let's try this without a flame war ;)

> The history of pages has been amputated when changing to the new
> software, in other words, changes made before the new PHP software are
> not accessible.  I see two problems with this:
>
> 1) Lost authorship.
> 2) Lost changes.

* As Wikipedia articles have no author, there's no authorship.
* AFAIK, the UseModWiki only stored the changes of the last two weeks (or
something like that).
* AFAIK, there will be "old.wikipedia.com", with a patched UseModWiki that
doesn't allow to edit/save articles, only view them, with the contents from
before the switch.
* The reason why I didn't convert the article history as well as the
"current" versions is simply that I didn't figure out how to read the
UseModWiki history format. I asked several times, even on the 'pedia, for
help, but...

I hope that claryfies things a little.

Magnus