[Wikipedia-l] language interlinking

Chuck Smith msochuck at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 21:30:39 UTC 2002

> > Also, is cross-language linking implemented yet or
> is
> > that still in the works?
>
> I think it's actually still very much just in the
> idea stage.
>
> As a typically pathetic monolingual American, I have
> a concern that
> cross-language linking should be done in a way
> that's non-obtrusive.
> It doesn't strike me that very many people will find
> it very useful to
> have 50 links on every page to every other language
> wiki for which the
> same article exists.
>
> Even people who are multilingual typically speak
> only 2 or 3
> languages.  For example, many of our Polish
> wikipedians speak English,
> Polish, and probably in many cases 1 or possibly
> even 2 other European
> languages.  But they might find it useless to have
> links to Tagalog,
> Mandarin, Japanese, etc.

Well, I'm mostly thinking of the Esperanto wikipedians
which on average will probably know about four
languages...

Thanks,
Chuck

=====
Venu al la senpaga, libera enciklopedio
esperanta reta! http://eo.wikipedia.com/
====
Junuloj!  Venu al Filadelfio, Usono 15-17 Februare
http://unumondo.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Filadelfia_JES