[Wikipedia-l] wiki source cvs

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sun Jan 13 00:11:43 UTC 2002

The software is GPL, and if you use it, you could make the data be any
license you want.  I'm happy to volunteer to host it, but I guess you
guys have plenty of resources in that department already.

I think that your using wikipedia software (the new version) would be good
for everyone.

David Merrill wrote:

> The LDP is talking about whether to set up our own Wiki project for
> working on HOWTOs. There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I don't
> know what will come of it yet. I asked whether they're interested in
> using Wikipedia, but I suspect we need real-time updates and stuff
> like that, so it wouldn't work very well. Let me know how you feel
> about this though. We're still discussing it ourselves.
>
> If we were to do that, we would need the licensing situation finally
> established in concrete terms, as well as attribution requirements.
> Any really big attribution would be an annoyance, but we'd want to
> make sure Wikipedia got a mention in all HOWTOs worked on that way.
> The big table would be overkill imho.
>
> But if we do, I would like to use the Wikipedia software. We want to
> use the current editing capabilities to output DocBook format, as in:
>
> =Title=
>
> Foo
>
> Bar
>
> becomes:
>
> <sect1><title>Title</title>
>
> <para>Foo</para>
>
> <para>Bar</para>
>
> </sect1>
>
> and so on. How is the software licensed, and can I get access to the
> cvs? I don't think I'll need commit rights. I'll fix any bugs I run
> into and send a patch if that happens.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
> Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
> Collection Editor & Coordinator            http://www.linuxdoc.org
>
> By the Earth that is Her body
> By the Air that is Her breath
> By the Fire of Her bright spirit
> By the Waters of Her living Womb,
> The circle is cast.
> 		-- Traditional Circle Casting
> [Wikipedia-l]
> To manage your subscription to this list, please go here:

*"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its*
* own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but *
* there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be *
*  pursuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can   *
*  certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." -Jeff Cooper    *