[Wikipedia-l] Polish Wikipedia and the new software

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Sat Jan 12 08:41:42 UTC 2002

There were some questions raised about the new software that I'd like to
answer:

Jimbo: I designed the software with international versions in mind, so
there's *no* hardcoded English at all in my current version. There's a
single file (wikiText.php) which contains all the language-specific
functions and texts as PHP variables (all starting with "$wiki"). It also
contains the name of the database for that language, the location of the
logo etc.

Larry: The script will be the same for all wikipedias, except for the file
mentioned above.

Tomasz: Jimbo is right, I didn't worry much about the copyright notice on
the upload page. This will be changed.

Pawel: The PHP code is open for you to study (at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/wikipedia/phpwiki/fpw/). I'd
give you write access, but IMO it would be better to wait until the English
Wikipedia is changed to the software and Jimbo set up the CVS repository at
bomis. There'll be an upload page for everybody (like meta.wikipedia.com),
and I'll include a page counter directly into the database soon. The
alphabetically grouped article lists would be nice, too. For the style
differences, I'd suggest we create a "Rozeta" skin (like the Star Trek skin
in the test versions). That way, everyone can choose his/her own favourite
layout. I'm looking forward to work with you on this!

I hope I could clarify most issues. Let's get to work!

Magnus