[Wikipedia-l] country subpages

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Sat Feb 23 20:41:44 UTC 2002

At 02:02 PM 2/23/02 -0600, Chuck wrote:
> > * History of Afghanistan
> > * Geography of Afghanistan
> > * People of Afghanistan
> > * Government of Afghanistan
> > * Economy of Afghanistan
> > * Communications in Afghanistan
> > * Transportation in Afghanistan
> > * Military of Afghanistan
> > * Foreign relations of Afghanistan
> >
>Why not simply:
>
>* Afghanistan history
>* Afghanistan geography
>* Afghanistan people
>* ...
>* Afghanistan transportation
>* Afghanistan military
>* Afghanistan foreign relations

I prefer Koyanisqaatsi's approach to naming. "Afghanistan history" looks odd
to me because it should be "Afghan history"; when we get to the F's, I'll want
"French geography," not "France geography." This doesn't apply for every
possibility: "United States government" is correct, for example.

The other, broader question to consider is whether we want a stack of small
pages for history, geography, etc. of each country: "history" probably,
geography
might well go better as a paragraph or two in the article on "Afghanistan." At
least if we're still working with CIA World Factbook data--a good, long,
detailed
article could be written (by someone more up on the area than I) about the
geography of Afghanistan, and how that has affected its history, politics,
and culture.

--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org