[Wikipedia-l] RE: Plea for help

Mark Christensen mchristensen at HTEC.com
Thu Feb 21 19:52:25 UTC 2002

I agree it is important to make clear what has changed. But, I must say I'm
not exactly clear about what's _not_ clear.  I take it from your message
that the concept of namespaces is not clear, as is the concept of not using
subpages.

Basically I'd explain the namespace issue as follows:

Talk and user articles are now in separate "namespaces" though I'm not at
all certain we should try to explain namespaces.  So, I'd say talk and user
articles are now in separate parts of the wikipedia, in order to make it
less likely to confuse these items with real encyclopedia articles.  On the
link bar, at the bottom is a talk link, this takes you over to the portion
of the wikipedia devoted to the discussion of that particular wikipedia
article.  When you are looking at the talk page, in the same space is a link
back to the article which that talk page discusses.  There's no need to
create /talk pages any more, as this new system allows for a cleaner
separation of wikipedia articles and the other pages which we need to have,
but don't count as encyclopedia articles.

And I'd explain the subpages issue as follows:

The new wikipedia software allows us to use parentheses markers to
distinguish between different kinds of article.  Before we had this for
example, we'd have had an article "Poker/stud," but now the same article is
"Stud (poker)."  This means that we are now expecting "Stud (poker)" to be
an entire article, not just a simple addition to the main poker article.
Right now you can use /'s in article names, but we recommend against it
because it isn't as clear as the (poker) notation (there are a number of
different ways to understand the / in a title).  On the other hand, on pages
like TCP/IP, where the / is part of the name of the article, you can and
should still use the /.

Another use people had for the "XXX/yyy" style page names was to break up
longer articles into chunks.  This can still be done by creating articles
with titles like "World War II battles," rather than making a page "World
War II" with a subpage "World War II/Battles."

************************

However, the above text simply explains the things I've guessed are not
clear, and it intentionally ignores both the complexities of the argument
against subpages, and the complexities involved in explaining namespaces to
a newbie as well as the particular implementation of namespaces in the
wikipedia software.

If we need a summary of the argument against subpages, I can try to boil
down some points from the extensive debate on the subject.  If we need a
technical explanation of namespaces and how they work in the wikipedia, I
think we can provide that as well.  But the keys to getting adequate
documentation in the hands of users who need it are 1) to understand where
people need additional help, and 2) to make available clear links to that
documentation at precisely the places where this confusion will be
experienced.

Yours
Mark Christensen