[Wikipedia-l] RE: Plea for help

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Thu Feb 21 18:32:17 UTC 2002

> Also, (since I'm hoping lots of people are still reading this) we still
> have NO ACCEPTABLE INFORMATION  on how some of the programming changes
> affect day to day use.  I've offered to write something up -- given an
> explanation, but have been repeatedly ignored or blown off (partially
> because I seem to have offended some delicate programmer sensibilities
> by saying that they were acting exactly like programmers -- good at what
> they do, but less interested in making it clear to the user through
> documentation).

Yeah, we were so hurt that we immediately started a FAQ page, based on the
questions you raised. I lost track of it, though, as I thought you'd expand
it as promised.

> Whether or not people want to hear it, the new site is not all that
> user-friendly as far as explaining subpages and namespaces goes (or how
> to report bugs, for that matter -- why isn't there a bug report link?).
> People are still trying to create /Talk pages and /whatever subpages.
> All we need is a carefully placed announcement or two -- I suggest
> adding a special page (changes to the system) and links on the home
> page, on how to edit a page, and on recent changes.  I know that Lars
> added some stuff on namespaces under the article, but what is needed is
> a primer -- something that says...where one did  x in the old version,
> please do y in the new.    I'd do this myself, but am pretty sure I
> can't create a special page (guessing it's an admin thing) and I'm still
> not clear on it.  It appears that, instead of subpages, we should be
> creating link pages (maybe) and that each page is generated with an
> associated talk page.

This is explained on the Nwe Functions page, as well as on the FAQ page, and
probably at a few other places as well.

> JHK -- feeling very resentful that no one actually seems to think this
> is worth their time.

If the (very real) existing FAQs/manuals are not extensive enough for you
(and others), let's try this:
* You create a page (best starting with "wikipedia:") where you put all the
questions you have, or the questions you think people might have.
* You let all of us know where to find it.
* The Sensitive Ego Club of Programmers will go there and answer them.

Magnus