[Wikipedia-l] Some thoughts

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Mon Feb 11 19:12:58 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 February 2002 14:24, Magnus Manske wrote:
> I noticed some things on wikipedia that IMHO should be avoided:
>
> * Creating half a dozen redirects to a single topic. A recent example of
> this might be the "ArXiv.org e-print archive", for which "Xxx.lanl.gov",
> "Www.arXiv.org", "ArXiv.org", and "ArXiv" redirects were created.
> There's no need to do this if the redirected titles aren't very common
> and mentioned in the article text anyway. The search function will find
> them without the redirect, and noone will go through the "All Pages"
> list if there's a search function.

I agree in principle, though there may be individual exceptions.  Do you
know how many ways "Dostoyevsky" has been (mis)spelled in English over the
last century or so? <g>

Lately I've made redirects just to give 0-byte stubs something to do. A
deletion-mechanism as proposed in another post today should clear this up

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
clasqm at mweb.co.za/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

...hey, at least a wild goose chase gives you some exercise-Neal Stephenson