[Wikipedia-l] How-tos

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 28 19:17:25 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>On Wednesday 28 August 2002 09:49 am, Jeronimo wrote:
>
>>These pages seem to violate [[What Wikipedia is not]] number four, in my
>>opinion. Also, most of these articles can never be NPOV. [[How to cook
>>pasta]] could be hotly debated by other cooks that have a slightly
>>different method of cooking (even more so for the somewhat more
>>complicated forms of cooking).
>>
>The  [[Wikipedia Cocktail Guide]], [[Wikipedia Cookbook]] and [[How-tos]]
>were all largely created before I got here and reflect a time in which
>wikipedia was still a bit undecided on what it really should be and was thus
>taking in just about anything (this process led to the current  [[What
>Wikipedia is not]], BTW).
>
>What's more is that I now see /very/ little by the way of current editing of
>these pages or the creation of similar ones so I don't think their presense
>sets any type of bad precedent.

The tendency has been that Wikipedia articles are most often of an
academic nature, but these others have value as well.  There is never
any guarantee that the recipes will work, or that your oven won't explode.

One thing about NPOV is that all articles can be presumed NPOV until
somebody objects.  (innocent until proven guilty)  That happens very
quickly in some areas; others can take years to be noticed.

An edit war on whether pasta should be cooked "al dente" or mushy,
 hmmm, that could be interesting!

Eclecticology