[Wikipedia-l] Undelete...

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Aug 28 15:21:53 UTC 2002

>"wiki pedista" <wikipedista at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I deleted the "September 11, 2201 Terrorist
>> Attack/World economic effects" page.
>> It had an history of one line, "script conversion",
>> and its content was "This page doesn't exist anymore"
>> or something like that (you can see the log).
>> Why can that be needed? Even if we want the article,
>> a link with a ? is more useful than that "article".
>> Should I have waited for a vote on "that"?

> Yes. Or something, because it caused unecessary consternation
> (in me) since I didn't know why the page was deleted. This
> page's history should be restored (go Brion Vibber!) so we can
> find out what happened to the article. It's definitely a worthy
> topic, in any case...
>
> Thanks for the explanation. There should be a better mechanism
> for explaining why a page like that is deleted.

I think you are alone in that response, Cunc.  The rest of us are
willing to put a little faith in the other sysops that when they
delete a page, it really deserved it, and there's no use agonizing
over what might have been.  I don't want sysops burdened with
having to explain themselves all the time, or having to put to vote
the simple deletion of complete nonsense.  We have work to do here.
Just do it, and don't look back.