[Wikipedia-l] the borders of wikipedia (was: Re: September 11 articles)

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Tue Aug 27 19:42:13 UTC 2002

> > Or should we also list the 6 million
> > Jews, and millions of other people that died because of some kind of
> > artrocity? Have articles about each Palestinian killed by an Israeli
> > soldier?
>
> Yes, we should. The entries should be more complete, but yes, I do
think
> there should be entries on everyone. As long as they're entered by
hand,
> the numbers won't get out of hand.

That's an interesting point of view. In the German Wikipadia there has
been a discussion about the borders of Wikipedia a few times. And I
guess this has been discussed in the English Wikipedia much more often.
So, where are the borders of Wikipedia?
Cunc says there should be an article about everybody. So why not also
have an article about every website on the internet? etc. I think this
would be great!

BUT, how can we keep them NPOV? The problem is we don't have enough
people to do this. I'd like to write an encyclopedia article about me.
But my parents, my sister and my friends, they all don't participate in
Wikipedia (okay, my ex-girlfriend has been writing a bit, but her aricle
about me whouldn't be NPOV) - and I guess they never will.
We have articles about Yahoo, Google, E2, but refuse to have articles
about the ones people try to advertise in Wikipadia (I guess you have
the same problems as we). I think the only reason is, that although it
is possible to writen an encyclopedic article about them, we can't keep
them NPOV, because not enough Wikipedians know enough about them.

It's the same problem with infinite other special themes that only a few
dozen, or maybe a few thousand people know about. It is possible to
write encyclopedic articles about them, but we can't, or should at least
wait a few years.

Kurt

P.S.: Which word fits better here: border, edge, frontier or limit?