[Wikipedia-l] Bibliography:namespace

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 26 01:15:34 UTC 2002

maveric149 wrote:

>Most sites simply have a link to their copyrights page and/or to a
>bibliography, that's all we should have (see below). Do we really want to
>have all the source info contained at
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Magnesium in the main part of the article?

Only the first 2 of these 3 sentences needs to go in the credits.
Depending on whose version we take, perhaps none of it does,
since it is all public domain material,
not open source stuff that we're obliged to credit.

I wrote earlier (although it doesn't seem to have appeared;
2 posts got lost in moderator hell when I changed my return address)
that credits should go in [[:]] until we get [[Credits:]].
But I mean only what we're obliged to mention,
like the FOLDOC credits or anything from another GFDL source.
When we get [[Credits:]], OTOH, then lots can go in there.

If we go more broadly, as mev suggests, to [[Bibliography:]],
then we still need to sure to point out what the credits are.
To my mind, the important thing is to give credit when we copy ''words'',
not to mention every source that was used for ''ideas''.
Bibliographies can contain quite a bit more
than the sources for quotations used, if that's what mav is thinking of.

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu>