[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia.org

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 26 00:31:46 UTC 2002

maveric149 wrote:

>giskart wrote:

>>also .info, .net

>>That these are safe is not bad but to buy every possible wikipedia.*
>>seems a waste to me.

>Wouldn't be cheaper and more sensible to trademark the word "wikipedia" in
>order to prevent somebody from actually using wikipedia.info/.org/.ca or
>.whatever? At 30 bucks US a year per TLD that could get expensive.

Agreed.  Registering a trademark in the US is much cheaper
than registering all of the domain suffixes used in the US.

>I think it would be far better to eventually asign each language their own
>.org URL that is their languages' version of the word "wikipedia"
>(Vikipedio.org for Esperanto or Wikipedia.org for English for example).

Ah, but now you are wasting money again.  ^_^

More seriously, I doubt that these will all be unique.
I'm in favour of using en.wikipedia.org, de.wikipedia.org, and so on.
Then we can also use de.wikipedie.org, fr.wikipedie.org, and so on,
if the Germans and/or the French ask for it.
Each language's community can decide what the internal links should be,
but every URL (given the right language code in front) should work.

Unlike giskart, however, I don't think that time is of the essence.
Google has begun to archive http://www.wikipedia.org/w/*; ah well.
Such pages will just have to redirect (through the apache server of course)
to http://en.wikipedia.org/w/*; we can live with that.
So I think that his idea is good but can be done anytime.

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu>