[Wikipedia-l] Re: Page deletion policy

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sun Aug 25 22:48:11 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> What about articles that have copyright violations in their history? I
> recently found the source for two articles that were copied verbatim from
> other websites. [[Miyuki]] can go poof, as far as I'm concerned (it's a bead
> seller's account of a trip to a bead plant, and the article's an orphan), but
> [[Guru Granth Sahib]] is important. Is there a way to remove the violation
> from the sikhuence of versions while keeping the rest?

A particular revision can be dropped from the database. There's no
interface for it, but it can be done manually by one of the developers
if need be (ie, if we cannot legally distribute the material, which we
are doing if it's in the history).

However, there doesn't seem to be anything in that particular article's
history[1] besides the copyright violation, the copyright violation with
a formatting correction, and a message explaining that there used to be
a copyright violation in that place.

It makes perfect sense to me to delete the "article" outright, since
there is no usable content in its history, and let someone add content
to a clean new article of the same name later.

1:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Guru_Granth_Sahib&action=history

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)