[Wikipedia-l] German wikipedia articles by HJ

Julie Hofmann Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 18:31:08 UTC 2002

Small addition to my last.  In the  Copernicus article in German, Helga
has gone to some effort to point out that there were more Germans in
Krakow and at the university there than there were Poles.  I don't know
if this is true, and I don't really care.  As I (and others) have said
many times, Helga's understanding of what makes up nationality is purely
post- von Herder.  Her understanding of what people thought in the 15th
century is weak at best.  That said, no, she doesn't write neutrally
there either.    From my POV, that kind of bizarre detail just doesn't
belong, because it isn't really relevant -- or if it is, there's nothing
that explains why it is.  Moreover, it's like Ark's more outrageous
statements (or the ones that Tom is so nicely handling in that odd
Germanic isn't Indo-European article) -- it just makes intelligent
people want to ask "where did you get that"?

Jules