[Wikipedia-l] Re: Naming conventions (city names)

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 12 11:25:25 UTC 2002

I saw the tail end of discussion of this issue on this list,
but I didn't participate and, thinking that the issue was decided,
but also thinking that the decision was (to an extent) wrong,
and seeing no mention of the dissent that I remembered from the list
on the page [[Wikipedia:Naming conventions (city names)]],
I added a statement of my opinion, just for the record, on the talk page.

To my surprise, many others chimed in to say that they felt the same,
and in fact some have now been saying that the issue was ''never'' decided.
If that is true, then the naming conventions page is in error
(to the extent that it purports to describe settled policy).

I urge this list to look at the talk page mentioned above,
as well as [[Talk:Naming conventions]], where people (not me) are discussing
not the convention itself but the process by which it was reached.

'''I especially urge natives and residents of the British Isles,
and other native English speakers in Europe, to weigh in!!!'''

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>