[Wikipedia-l] Re: Move feature

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 16:57:31 UTC 2002

LDC wrote:

>Move is not destructive; it will fail with an error
>message if the destination page already exists or is
>an illegal title.  I also just fixed one remaining
>bug in the way it updated the link tables,
>so I don't see much reason to restrict it anymore.
>It is, however, still a fairly drastic move since it
>changes a lot of stuff at once and creates links to
>redirects, so it should probably still be
>restricted to logged in users at least.

I would be wary of allowing somebody who has been
logged-in for 5 minutes the ability to move pages
around so easily. Again we should have an 'old hand'
status to start porting these types of sysop functions
to long-time users (with the goal of eventually
porting all sysop functions as soon as safety
mechanisms are established for each). There should be
a minimum expectation that those with these abilities
have been exposed to our policies and naming
conventions. There is also the issue that if a newbie
make a mistake during a move only a sysop can correct
it because the old page title needs to be deleted
before the move can be reversed.

I know the automatic promotion idea will take some
time to implement but creating an interface for sysops
to do this manually has already been done for phase II
so should be easy enough for phase III. We should
begin working toward phasing-out sysop status by at
least porting the move feature to old hands.

--mav